Specification Writer/Project Team Member
Salt Lake City, UT
VCBO is an award-winning, integrated design firm with a team of 90 professionals in two offices in Utah servicing a variety of clients throughout the Intermountain West. VCBO employs exceptional people dedicated to assisting clients in solving their greatest challenges and developing functional, beautiful, sustainable, and future-focused projects in healthcare, higher education, K-12 education, recreation, justice, civic, and corporate office.
VCBO Architecture is seeking an experienced Specification Writer to supplement our Specification staff and join our Architectural Group.
VCBO has a passion for excellence and a strong group of people who respect each other and enjoy working together.
General Objectives and Responsibilities
• Utilize knowledge of material standards, industrial processes, and manufacturing procedures. • Find innovative ways to meet client needs through the construction specification delivery process. • Assist project team members in resolving problems related to the use and installation of building materials and products that arise during the design and construction phases.
• Comment on the proposed use of building products and materials, their suitability for the intended application, and alternative products when appropriate.
• Self-starter in terms of industry research and follow-through.
• Responsible for preparing project specifications, enhancing, and maintaining master specifications. • Extensive knowledge of building codes, structural systems, and materials standards.
• Develop specification requirements and solutions using master specifications.
The Specification Writer will not be a part of an Architectural project team but will support all teams as necessary to ensure the ongoing quality and accuracy of the specifications for each project.
• Previous experience with large-scale, technically complex projects and multiple clients preferred. • Knowledge of CSI principles and construction materials required.
• Professional Registration preferred.
• The ability to work independently on multiple projects at a time.
• Be able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, operate under tight deadlines, and manage last minute and urgent requests.
• Must have a basic knowledge of construction industry drawing standards and requirements. • Must be able to articulate ideas well through both verbal and written communications. Must be comfortable presenting in and leading meetings with consultants and internal team members and partners. • Must work well with both individuals and teams.
• Working knowledge of Revit would be beneficial.
Bachelor’s degree in architecture or related field required
Certified Construction Specifier (CCS) License or Registered Architect preferred
Familiarity with MS Office and Excel required
Proficient with BSD SpecLink and BlueBeam software required